Friday, January 4, 2013

Just Keep Swimming


So it begins. 6 days a week of physical, emotional and mental training, 1 day "off" and lots of early mornings. So far, I haven't missed a workout...well, there's only been a few! Having structure is really helping me. I can already see how I've now got the ability to improve speed, time and power over all three sports. When I used to train on swim days, I would just hop in the pool and swim a few 100s. Now I'm working with fancy pool toys and doing drills to gain strength and speed in the pool. Same goes for running and biking. I can only imagine how I'll improve over the next 11 months.

Speaking of the pool, this is sort of where I'm focused for a bit since I'm trying out Dynamo Masters swimming. Wednesday was Day 1 and boy was it intimidating at first. I'm rarely one to be quiet or stand in the corner alone, but that was me today. I was that kid standing on the side of the pool, arms folded and scared to jump in. This was my first time swimming in a 50 meter pool (versus the 25 meter pool I usually train in at LA Fitness). I wasn't exactly sure how it was going to go but after the workout I am pleased to say I actually prefer the 50m pool to the 25 meter. AH said it simulates a more realistic swim and I think he's right. We cranked out around 2000 meters this morning over a series of drills and distance swims. I couldn't believe how well I did given that was my 3rd time in the pool since September! Having AH there swimming in the same lane helped for sure.

Day 2 in the pool was bright and early this morning. Still feeling the effects of Wednesday's swim and yesterday's ride, I again had doubts on how the workout would go. When I got into the bubble I noticed that the lanes were now 'short course' and set at 25m rather than the 50m lanes we had Wednesday. Shorter lanes = more laps. Drats. I jumped in a lane with the same girl from Wednesday that shared with us, AH was a few lanes over. Comforting to see a familiar face and one who seems so nice! We chatted a bit then it was time to get to business! Lots of drills again today focusing on form...much needed. After an hour and 15 minutes, I was spent. Showered up and headed to work. Sore, tired and hungry is how I'm feeling right now.  I'm always more exhausted after swim workouts...and more hungry for that matter!

So far so good. The pain, exhaustion and hunger will be worth it come November 2. Here's to two more days of training this weekend and then a day off on Monday. I'm going to learn to LOVE Mondays!

No comments:

Post a Comment